找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

Walking on my own

ceciliachiu 2012-5-3 09:20:08 阅读 6275 来自: 澳大利亚
23 October 2011 Sunday, Day 11

They removed all the tubes attached to me – cannulas 插管 and catheter. The nasal cannula was removed earlier when I soon left the ICU. There were three cannulas linking my left arm and a machine.  When I moved my arm, the very touchy 敏感 machine would continuously give out a “beep” sound until a nurse came to reset it.  I used this as a buzzer 钟铃 when I needed a nurse.  (There was a buzzer close to the bed; however, with limited vision and reach, I constantly had problem locating it.)  However, this was annoying in the middle of the night – it woke everyone up.

The gone cannulas left bruised marks on my left arm but the movement of my arm was no longer restricted. I could reach things farther away but only on the left hand side as my right arm was in a full cast.  The removal of the catheter gave me more reasons to get up and walk.  I walked in the corridor three times today, all on my own, supervised only by the walking frame.

Being “freed” and rather than having a tower wash in bed, the nurse suggested that I could have a shower. The shower was just for the lower body as the brace on the upper body cannot get wet.  Sensing warm water trickling 涓流 down my legs was a nice feeling.  

Today I had my meals for the first time out of bed and sitting up on a chair. I was also given a more normal diet.  Bye, bye pureed food. It was a piece of chicken steak and tasted quite good.  However, with only one hand functioning, I had to ask a nurse to cut it up into smaller pieces.  

A Chinese friend from Launceston came with a huge container of soup prepared by another female Chinese friend.  The strong Chinese herbal smell reminded me of mom’s soup.  She also made me my favourite soy drink.                       
(0)
ceciliachiu

相关推荐

发表回复

ceciliachiu

我於2005年5月移居澳洲塔斯曼尼亞,居於Launceston,現為translator, English editor and copywriter 。具有NAATI翻譯員資格(NAATI NO. 60299)。 喜愛旅遊和交友 。個人網頁:www.ceciliachiu.com